The tropaion - and Julius Caesar as 'Jesus Christ'

The Gospel of Caesar
Documentary film about a linguist (Francesco Carotta) and a Catholic priest, who search for and find the origins of Christianity and the real historical Jesus: Julius Caesar,
Divus Gaius Julius Caesar, Christus

I am grateful for being given the links to the above video and author, whose hypothesis is, I think, even more substantial than that of Atwill's Caesar's Messiah, discussed earlier. I followed that critique with this: Tropaion to crucifixion - which looks at how this Roman trophy may relate to the Tau Rho in texts (falsely) claimed as 'early Christian'.

First, I think we all should admit how the raising of this trophy is uncannily like the raising of the crucifix:

Carotta has taken this thinking about the tropaion much further and, frankly, further than I'm willing to go. I've read enough conspiracy theories to recognise an undisciplined scrabbling for anything to support it; such argument has, to my mind, become a hallmark of unreality.

That said, Carotta places the tropaion on solid ground and, as far as I'm concerned, the scholars who dismiss him with an imperial, disdainful wave would probably react the same to anyone and anything which threatened their complacent (self-serving) faith.

A fully erected Roman tropaion with shackled and adorsed seated male and female Sarmatian captives. Dupondius from reign of Emperor Marcus Aurelius, 161-180 CE.
My criticism has the exact same basis I used against Caesar's Messiah, the Jesus Never Existed website and Carrington's Flavian conspiracy: they all depend on the Christian textual tradition. Whoops!

I will repeat: there is no reliable evidence for either Jesus Christ, or Christianity in the 1st century. So, whatever imperial Rome did at that time, it was not to invent Jesus Christ, or Christianity, or to make Julius Caesar into Jesus Christ; that is impossible. I recognised years ago how Julius Caesar may well be associated in some way with Christianity, but as I didn't know how, I've not made any such claim.

The sad failure of these hypotheses is a direct result of failing to recognise good archaeology (for Chrest and how the Chrestian enemies were the messianic Jews termed The Poor), and of falling headfirst into the glittering web of false assumptions that is the textual tradition.

Sorry, but to untangle the Gordian Knot of Christian origins requires more work, more suspicion, less easy acceptance of assumptions, and facts - lots of them.

Share this: