Sun day sabbath

Aten (also AtonEgyptian jtn) is the disk of the sun in ancient Egyptian mythology, and originally an aspect of Ra.
Sunday, the Christian sabbath; this alone should tell us how this religion is based on solar worship and is, thus, pagan.

For me, it is when I potter about and intellectually, deal with bits and pieces, such as we are doing here and now.

In the last week, I created a new section within Origins of Christianity, dealing with Syncretisms. Last night, I posted its first essay: Cleopatra VII and Rome.

I plan on writing some others in this theme; one that springs to mind as important is Philo; he has been described as writing the first christology, the theological foundation for Christ. My challenge will be to explain how - as there was no Christ in that period - he was attempting something different and probably Chrestian.

I am focusing for now on the beginning of empire, because this is when the Ptolemaic faith, which had syncretised with that of the ancient pharaohs - changing the ankh to the chi-rho - became the seed which grew into Chrestianity. My history must be able to describe how this happened and then impacted Rome, so that later, it became the officially-sanctioned religion (with the New Testament) and later still, Christianity.

My approach is to look at the mechanics. Big ideas are all very well, but to have value they must be productive. And that means that the mechanics of it must work. So rather than make a claim and walk away, I think it important to demonstrate how the big idea is mechanically-sound, fully functional. The section on syncretisms is to illustrate this.

I may well add another section later, to further demonstrate the theoretical structure of my history - on prosopography:
In historical studiesprosopography is an investigation of the common characteristics of a historical group, whose individual biographies may be largely untraceable, by means of a collective study of their lives, in multiple career-line analysis.[1] Prosopographical research has the aim of learning about patterns of relationships and activities through the study of collective biography, and proceeds by collecting and analysing statistically relevant quantities of biographical data about a well-defined group of individuals. This makes it a valuable technique for studying many pre-modern societies. Prosopography is an increasingly important approach within historical research.
Archaeology reveals many names, but who are these people and how, if at all, may they connect, to others and to my history? I have been accused of being too purist, too strict with the rules, so that by studying only the cultural layers and so dismissing most later texts, just about everyone would disappear. The prosopographical approach is my counter, because when we see people in context, we may make a proper judgment on what is possible for them.

Here is something that gave me pleasure - the entry in Wikipedia for Syncretism:
The Roman emperors used syncretism to help unite the expanding empire (Freke, The Jesus Mysteries). In the first few centuries after the death of Jesus, there were various "Jesus Movements", some competing with each other. There was no Christianity as we know it today (and the first use of the term in whatever language is undetermined).
Wow! Despite the best efforts of the Christian mafia there, this truth managed to get through. I asked earlier for anyone interested in supporting my study to add such content. This is really important, because these days, increasing numbers of students go this source. If we are to make an impact on the world, this is where to start.

I must also thank the readers who have been adding +1 in Google+ to my site's content. The Introduction now has +25 and most pages also have a good number. This is important, as it tells Google Search how others rate my work (and me too as a reliable source).

The rest of my household will wake up soon, so away I go, to prepare. Thank you sincerely for your interest and all the very best of British to you.

PS For those who worried how my closing the big, original History Hunters website, a lot of good work was lost, I just uploaded some of its essays to the new site's About page.

Share this: